GARDENING TIPS FOR APRIL
Spring may be showing little evidence but daffodils and tree blossoms are starting to bloom. Expect the inevitable ‘April showers’ this month but sunny albeit chilly days too. It's an exciting month, with indoor-sown seeds well into growth, and it's also time to start sowing outdoors. Just watch out for frosts.
Top 10 jobs this month
1. Keep weeds under control
2. Protect fruit blossom from late frosts
3. Tie in climbing and rambling roses
4. Sow hardy annuals and herb seeds
5. Start to feed citrus plants
6. Increase the water given to houseplants
7. Feed hungry shrubs and roses
8. Sow new lawns or repair bare patches
9. Prune fig trees
10. Divide bamboos and waterlilies
RHS.org. (2014). Sunshine and showers. Available: http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/calendar/April. Last accessed 04.04.2014.